For more than 30 years Historic Salem, Inc. has been organizing a holiday-themed tour of historic homes. The tour moves from neighborhood to neighborhood each year, providing an amazing opportunity for architecture enthusiasts, design buffs, and anyone with a nosey bone in their body to see behind the front doors of some of Salem's most significant and interesting homes.
This weekend, December 3-5, the tour will explore ten homes in Salem's North Fields neighborhood. Friday night's candlelit tour will coincide with the annual Dearborn Street Illumination, which is wonderful! Friday night is only open for advance ticket holders, however, so make sure to buy your tickets today!
North Street with Buffum Street in Background
& Harness Shop of F. Coombs
Watercolor, Edward Symonds, 1844
Photo courtesy of the Peabody Essex Museum
Here are the details on this great event:
Christmas in Salem, presented by Historic Salem, Inc
December 3rd – 5th, 2010
Tickets are available online until 5:00 PM December 1st ~ HURRY!
$30 for the General Public
$25 for Historic Salem, Inc. members (Join Today!)
Tickets will be available at the event on Saturday and Sunday, December 4th and 5th
$35 at Tabernacle Congregational Church, 50 Washington Street, Salem
For complete information, and to buy tickets, visit ChristmasInSalem.org
Some of the highlights you and your friends can enjoy:
Historic North Fields Area of Salem
- Ten 18th , 19th , and early 20th century homes, all professionally decorated for the holidays
- Candlelight tour of three selected houses during the magical Illumination of Dearborn Street on Friday night, December 3rd from 6 PM – 8 PM
- Flags marking homes and sites associated with the Salem’s native son, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Other Christmas in Salem Holiday Events
At the Tabernacle Congregational Church:
- Complimentary Lectures: Tales of the North Fields at 1 PM on December 4th and 5th, told by Historian and Storyteller, Jim McAllister
- AAA Sponsored Concerts – free with AAA card, $10 for the General Public:
- Holiday Music at 4 PM on December 4th performed by local pop/folk singer, Julie Dougherty
- Old World-New World Music at 4 PM on December 5th performed by Savoy String Trio
- Wine Tasting on December 3rd and 4th ~ Salem Wine Imports
- Theatrical events by the Salem Theatre Company, The House of the Seven Gables, and the Salem Trolley and the Griffen Theatre
Shop Different, Shop Salem:
Restaurants and retailers from all over Salem invite Christmas in Salem ticket holders to shop and dine by offering great discounts! This is a perfect way to begin your holiday shopping with a delicious bite to eat while you’re at it! See the full list on our website and take a look at our video while you are online.
And, here's another great event...
Wizard of Oz Complimentary Cocktail Party, Salem YMCA, One Sewall St., Salem, 978-744-0351, NorthShoreYMCA.org. Saturday, Dec. 5th, 5 PM. Hoist a cup of good cheer as the Y presents a complimentary highlight show from its production of The Wizard of Oz in historic Ames Hall. Learn how you can help restore the hall as a Creative Arts Center for youth.