Friday, September 4, 2009

Salem Farmers' Market

I stopped by the Salem Farmers' Market yesterday, as I try to do each Thursday, and was delighted that I was in time for fresh eggs. The eggs have been incredibly popular, and some days the farmer is gone by the time I arrive at the market. I was, well, psyched to see a crate with three chickens sitting at the steps of Old Town Hall. I knew I had finally made it.

So, breakfast this morning included fresh croissants from the Swiss baker (yellow truck on the south side of Front Street near the Lobster Shanty - the pretzels are amazing, too), fresh peaches and blueberries, and fresh eggs.

I ran into a family at the Salem Maritime National Historic Site in August that was visiting from Houston. They had been on the road for two weeks. Hotel to hotel to hotel. Constantly eating out. The mother was excited to tell me they were staying in a family suite at the Salem Inn, and they had found the Salem Farmers' Market, where they purchased fruits and vegetables and bread... and she was able to cook their first "home-cooked" meal in two weeks.

So, for anyone who thinks farmers' markets are not for visitors - they are. And this farmers' market just might give you a little taste of home while you're on the road.

Discover the magic of eating local in Salem through the end of October. The Salem Farmers' Market is produced by Salem Main Streets each Thursday, 4-7pm, at Derby Square.

No comments: