Thursday, February 14, 2008

Visit Salem

Welcome to Destination Salem's new blog about Salem, visiting Salem, what there is to do in Salem, and why you should be making plans to come to Salem.

I should let you know right out of the box that I am the executive director of Destination Salem, which means it is my job to talk about Salem as a great destination. However, I would not be able to do this job if I didn't believe it. And I know Salem is a unique place to spend time. In fact, it's such a great place to visit, lots of people move here after visiting (myself included), and that's the best evidence of a good destination.

Salem has a lot going on. You may know Salem because of the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Salem also has an incredible maritime heritage, remarkable architecture, literary history (think Nathaniel Hawthorne), and military heritage. Not to mention the art and culture, shopping, dining, psychics, lighthouses, classic New England vistas, tall ships, cobbled streets... should I go on? I'll talk about all of these things in my posts, but I know attention spans are short and time is shorter, so for now I'll say welcome - to you and to myself - to the new Destination Salem blog.

Discover the magic of Salem!

Kate


PS: The picture is of the tall ship Friendship, a replica of the 1797 East Indiaman ship that sailed from Salem to ports all over the world. Friendship is part of the Salem Maritime National Historic Site. Thanks to Colleen Bruce who took the picture.

No comments: