Salem.org features a list of 10 Free Things to Do in Salem. It's a handy list to know, and any of the activities included will make for a lovely afternoon - especially when paired with an ice cream from Ben & Jerry's or Maria's Sweet Somethings - both of which are adjacent to the Heritage Trail.
Here's the abbreviated list. Click here for more complete information.
- See the two free films at the National Park Service sites: Where Past is Present, and To the Farthest Ports of the Rich East.
- Walk the African American History Trail and the Nathaniel Bowditch Trail: A Walking Tour of the Great Age of Sail.
- The McIntire Historic District Walking Trail and beautiful Chestnut Street
- The Ropes Mansion Gardens at 318 Essex Street.
- Salem Common is a favorite spot for jogging, reading, concerts, and wedding ceremonies.
- Take the half-mile walk out Derby Wharf to Derby Light and enjoy a beautiful view of Salem, Salem Harbor, and Marblehead.
- Salem Willows offers a waterside park, beaches, and a pier that is great for fishing and crabbing.
- Pause to reflect on the Salem Witch Trials of 1692 at the Witch Trial Memorial.
- Visit the Old Burying Point Cemetery (Charter Street).
- Follow the Heritage Trail, which is the red line painted on the sidewalk.