10. Public art was installed on the Essex Street Pedestrian Mall and Front Street? Visitors and residents alike loved the new sculptures, which were on display until early November. We are hoping for more public art projects in 2012!
|Photo: Jared Charney|
9. Caffe Graziani celebrated their 20th Anniversary! Twenty years of family-style, delicious Italian cooking. The good stuff never goes out of style! See for yourself in person or online at CaffeGraziani.com.
8. Salem declared that it is Still Making History, unveiling a new logo and campaign that intertwines all aspects of our past, present and future. Click here to go back to February and watch the video!
7. We saw Salem by Segway - and loved it! (You can, too, just call Witch City Segway!)
6. WalkBoston highlighted Salem's walkable downtown when they produced a walking map of Salem. The WalkBoston map is a great addition to all of the walking tours - guided and self-guided - available to help you explore Salem. Click here to travel back to July 27, where you will find links to several downloadable walking maps of Salem.
5. We celebrated Trails & Sails in Salem and throughout the Essex National Heritage Area! Trails & Sails is a two-weekend event held annually in September that invites you to explore the region's natural, cultural and historic resources free of charge. Visit EssexHeritage.org for more information on Trails & Sails.
|Photo: Kevin Letourneau|
4. We rang in the New Year in Salem - from Rockafellas to 62, Vic's Boathouse to the Hawthorne Hotel, and everywhere in between, Salem was a'buzz with revelers wishing 2011 well and welcoming 2012. What better way to transition than with excellent food, creative cocktails, live music, and dancing!
3. Coming in at number three, Free Family Fun drew thousands to the annual Salem Maritime Festival wowed children and parents who celebrates ships, sawdust, and song at the Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
2. The Salem Jazz & Soul Festival rocked Salem Willows in August, and their free concerts entertained locals and guests in Derby Square on the first Saturday of the month from April through August. If you missed it last year, join us in 2012 for more great music!
1. And, drum roll please! The most popular blog post of 2011 announced the winners of Destination Salem's 2011 Photography Contest. Congratulations to Mark Wade, who won the competition with his stunning image of the Friendship and Pedrick's Store House at Salem Maritime National Historic Site.
Thanks for reading over the past 12 months (and four years). We look forward to a great 2012!