It looks like the weather is going to cooperate, which will be a nice ending to a damp Heritage Days. I've talked to a lot of people who plan to head down to the Essex Street Fair today and tomorrow (Saturday, August 9 and Sunday, August 10). Don't be misled by the name - the Essex Street Fair is a great sidewalk festival that takes place along Essex Street (of course) and on Pickering Wharf.
The fair is fun for all ages, and many bring their dogs along, too. You will discover crafts, jewelry, paintings, stained glass, and other unique items. Street performers, face painters, and musicians will entertain crowds.
10 am - 6 pm on Saturday and Sunday. For more information, contact the Salem Chamber of Commerce at 978-744-0004.
That's not the only thing going on this weekend - The following events are also scheduled for downtown:
- Art Exhibit – 10AM-4PM – Old Town Hall. Salem Arts Association presents Freeze Frame: Shake, Rattle & Roll – photography by Tom Uellner.
- Salem Arts Association Concert – 1PM-3PM – Derby Square. Entertainment to be announced
- Sun Tae Kwon Do Academy Demonstration– 3PM – Essex St. Pedestrian Mall/Armory Park Area. Come watch this Korean martial art, which literally means "The Art of Hand and Foot." Watch children as young as six years old demonstrate their skills and then see their mothers and fathers do the same.
- Salem Theatre Company Free Outdoor Performance – 3:30PM – 4:30PM - Derby Square. IMPROV on the BRICKS. Members of the Salem Theatre Company will lead improvised interaction with fellow actors and the audience during the performances. With actors anticipating ideas and support from the audience one is guaranteed a different show each night. For more information, contact 978-790-8546. Don't forget to bring your chairs.
- The Galleries at Artist Row – 4PM-7PM. Open galleries reception – take a stroll through Artist Row and see what our talented artists have on display.
- Salem Jazz & Soul Festival, Berklee Summer Series Concert - 5PM – 7PM - Derby Square. Berklee students Manami Morita perform. The “Berklee Summer Series” presents promising and accomplished students from this world renowned jazz institution.
Discover the magic of the Essex Street Fair this weekend. And if you're unable to join us this weekend, the Salem Chamber of Commerce presents a haunted version in October - the Haunted Biz Baz, which will be October 11-12. Check out www.hauntedhappenings.org for more Haunted Happenings events and www.salem.org for a calendar of events happenings throughout the year in Salem.
Photo credit: DMoisan