Thursday, April 22, 2010

A lovely lunch at the Shanty

I wish I could say no lobsters were harmed in the writing of this blog post. But I can't. A mighty tender lobster gave itself to be my lunch.

There were twenty more just like it in the tank, too. Plenty for all of us.

It's school vacation week in Massachusetts, so while I had to work today, I did get to enjoy a lovely, relaxing lunch at The Lobster Shanty with my kids. The Shanty opened for the season on April 1st, and this was our first meal back... so now it really feels like spring.

The Shanty has a new menu that is quite awesome, laminated, and crisp - and they have a new menu for dogs, so feel free to bring your four-legged friend to dine adjacent to you on the patio.

We left the dog at home, it was just me and the boys today. While there are not any children's selections on the menu, per se, my youngest ordered the Macaroni & Cheese ("Careful! The casserole is really hot!") and when we got the check, I noticed it was priced as a "Kid's Portion," which was a nice surprise.

My eldest ordered the Pulled Pork Sandwich and devoured it. The fries that arrived with the Mac & Cheese and sandwiches are some of the best fries I've had in Salem, or anywhere else.

Enough about them, though. Let's talk about me. I contemplated the lobster roll, because it's a personal favorite, and I oggled the fried clams, but ultimately I went healthy and ordered a green salad topped with lobster meat. And,well, let me tell you, the greens were covered with lobster. And I don't think it was because Chef Diane saw me sitting on the patio. I think she puts that much lobster on all the salads. It was so good. And I didn't have to crack a claw.

The Shanty has live music, weather permitting, at night, and if the weather is inclement, there is seating inside - complete with a bar scene and televisions showing the latest news, sports, and whatever.

Welcome back, Lobster Shanty! It's been a long, cold (and rainy) winter. It's good to have you back.

No comments: