1. Get your pirate on. Visit the New England Pirate Museum, where guides dressed as pirates will lead you through Salem and New England Pirate history. After your tour, test your sea legs aboard the Schooner Fame and set sail aboard this replica wooden schooner that was one of Massachusetts' most lucrative privateers during the American Revolution and War of 1812. Arrh!
2. Oh, the Comedy! There are two great shows on stage in Salem this weekend. The Salem Theatre Company is performing Rounding Third at their new space on Lafayette Street, and Summer Theatre at Salem is featuring Lend Me a Tenor. Rounding Third features the tumultuous, and hilarious, journey of two little league coaches through an entire season. Continue down Lafayette Street to take in the hysterical Lend Me a Tenor on the Salem State College Main Stage.
3. Live Music at Gulu Gulu. From electronica/pop to folk/rock, Gulu-Gulu Cafe has a great music line up this weekend, culminating in their monthly LGBTeaDance on Sunday night. Check out the eclectic beer and wine list at one of Salem's hippest cafes. (If you're hungry, the crepes and panini are quite delicious, too!)
4. Family Fun aboard the Friendship. Climb aboard the replica tall ship Friendship at Derby Wharf in the Salem Maritime National Historic Site and participate in ranger-led family activities. Admission is $5 adults, $3 for kids. Saturday, 10am - 4pm. Check out the online family resources on nps.gov/sama for more park fun for kids!
5. Swing, Run, Play. The new playground on Salem Common is open for play! This state-of-the art new playground features climbing structures, slides, and swings. It has all the ingredients for free family fun!
6. Shop! The fabulous J.Mode on Front Street is celebrating its third year in Salem with a summer sale. While you are on Front Street, check out roOst, The Behive, and Maria's Sweet Somethings (among other wonderful shops), and don't forget to go around the corner onto Washington Street to discover Treasures Over Time. Visit Salem.org for more shopping inspiration.