I love summer.... so many great activities to choose from! Here are six ideas to start your weekend. For a complete list of special events and things to do, visit Salem.org or follow the links below. Have a great weekend!
1. Cruise & Dine on the Salem Ferry. Whether you are cruising to Salem or cruising to Boston, your Salem Ferry is worth a discount (usually 10%!) at restaurants on both ends of the trip. Here are links to the lists of participating restaurants: Cruise & Dine Salem / Cruise & Dine Boston.
2. Stroll along the new South River Harbor Walk, which officially opened yesterday! This beautiful walk connects downtown Salem at Derby Street (across the street from Rouge Cosmetics and Engine House Pizza with Pickering Wharf). The path along the South River includes tables, seating areas, and a playground. Check out the tiles painted by Salem children along the way! Map
3. Discover treasures at The Common Yard Sale, hosted at the Hawthorne Hotel. This community-wide yard sale will feature craft items, oriental rugs, light fixtures and more! Saturday, July 17, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM in the Ballroom.
4. Dip your toes in the water at one of the beaches at Salem Willows, while eating an ice cream cone, of course! This classic amusement park gives you a taste of yesteryear with its arcades, kiddie land, mini-golf, fishing pier, and Hobbs' famous ice cream and popcorn. The Hobbs family was the first to introduce the ice cream cone to America in 1906! Who doesn't love edible history?! SalemWillowsPark.com
5. Check out the Fiery Pool: The Maya and the Mythic Sea and The Kennedys: Portrait of a Family, Photographs by Richard Avedon exhibits at the Peabody Essex Museum before they're gone! Both close on Sunday!
6. Discover the secrets of Curious Punishments of the Puritans and Courting in Colonial America, both special exhibits at The Witch House. This is the only structure with direct ties to the Salem Witch Trials that is still standing in Salem. Tour the home of Trials judge Jonathon Corwin, and learn about Colonial American lifestyle.